Sunday, April 18, 2010

Perfect Party Cake


My mother in law's birthday was today, and I volunteered to make a birthday cake. I needed an excuse to practice my decorating skills and try out another cake recipe. I was determined to use a non-shortening buttercream icing this time. I chose Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake which is a white cake with a hint of lemon flavor. I put the coconut on the sides of the cake but left it off the top to save room for decorating. The cake itself turned out great, but the icing was a little hard to pipe with and a bit too buttery for my taste. I guess I'm used to the American buttercream with the powdered sugar and shortening. I didn't give myself quite enough time for the decorating, but I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. The drop flowers are great when time is limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment