Thursday, October 28, 2010

Birthday Cinnamon Rolls


When I asked my husband what his favorite breakfast food was besides waffles (he eats them frequently) he said cinnamon rolls from the can. I thought surely I could find a scratch recipe better than cinnamon rolls out of the can. So, looking through my cookbooks I found one in the Weekend Baker. Perfect! It told me what things I could do ahead so I could just stick them in the oven in the morning. Also, I was looking at Abby Dodge's blog and found a small tweak to the recipe that increased the cinnamon and flour. I had never made cinnamon rolls before, but after making brioche a few weeks ago I had a little more confidence in my bread making abilities. These were so easy to make.

First you make the dough. That was easy though it seemed to take longer for my dough to mix up and start pulling away from the bottom of the bowl. I couldn't turn up the mixer speed too much or it would start walking away. Then it had to rise for about 50 minutes.


In between working on the icing for the caramel apple cake I made the filling for the cinnamon rolls with the increased amounts of cinnamon and flour. Another simple step.


Next up, it was time to roll out the dough and spread the filling.


Then I rolled them up and sliced them. Some of mine ended up being a little bigger than they were supposed to be, but that wasn't a problem.


Then I set them in the baking dish. That was also easy enough. I let them rise while I finished the cake and then put them in the fridge overnight.


The next morning I got up early, started the oven, pulled them out of the fridge, and started the icing topping. I put them in the oven and continued getting ready for work. Not too long after that they were done, and we sat down to homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast. My husband really enjoyed them. I think those might replace the canned variety as his new favorite!

9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic birthday surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look wonderful. What a great birthday breakfast. I have no doubt they beat canned cinnamon rolls any day. Thanks for adding a link to Abby's changes. I love that book. I can't wait to start baking from her new book (Abby sent me a copy of it and I will be doing a book review on it soon).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Hanaa, I updated the link so it goes straight to her changes. I'm looking forward to reading your review of her new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone that never made the before, they look delish - wow, would you come to my house and make the for me for breakfast? pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica, thanks! I was amazed at how easy they were to make. I would love to come to your house, but it might be a bit far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! My partner loves cinnamon rolls, too, but I never thought of letting them rise in the fridge overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Serene, thanks! Putting them in the fridge overnight actually makes it possible to have freshly baked cinnamon rolls on a weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to serve them for a birthday breakfast! (Don't let my boys hear you). They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look so good. Never knew that canned cinnamon rolls existed!

    ReplyDelete