Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Whipped Cream Cake


Last night I really needed a break from job search activities. The last couple days I've had four interviews - two phone screens and two on-site. That's good, but it's also very tiring. So, when I got home yesterday I decided I would take a break by walking my dog and then baking a cake. I wanted to participate in free choice week for the HCB group anyway.

There are so many cakes that sounded good, but I decided that I should make some simple that I already have the ingredients for. When I saw how simple the Whipped Cream Cake is I thought that might be good, but I was afraid it would taste too plain. But, when I looked through Marie's old posts and saw that everyone loved it I decided to go for it. Plus, it would give me a chance to use my new bundt pan that I got with my Williams Sonoma gift card after Christmas. Daniel thought I was crazy for buying a new pan until he realized that there were more crispy edges with this pan.

The batter came together really quickly. I didn't even take any pictures of the process. The only things that really took any extra time were processing the regular sugar so I could have super fine sugar and sift the dry ingredients.

Daniel was very happy when he came home to see that there was a cake baking. The cake came out of the pan with no problems, and I let it cool a little before I sprinkled some powdered sugar on top.

I originally cut some nice normal sized slices, but we each ended up wanting a little more. It has such a soft, moist crumb with a nice crispy outside edge. Daniel and I both loved it!


7 comments:

  1. that cake still ranks as one of my top favorites. i'm glad you liked it! it looks gorgeous in the heritage pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! This cake is definitely in my top 5. And to use Monica's words: I have cake pan envy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake has been on my list of to do recipes. You've convinced me to move it up to the top. Yours looks and sounds beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to make this cake. And I DO love the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! And, now I should have more time for baking and blogging because I have accepted a job offer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Andrea!! When do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Hanaa! My tentative start date is set to January 31st so I'll have a week off to get some things done around the house, relax a little, and do some baking.

    ReplyDelete