Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Heavenly Cake Bakers: Chocolate Velvet Fudge Cake


This is going to be a quick post. I had planned to bake this cake on Sunday, and then I ended up being super busy. Then Monday I thought I would have time, but we took our cat to the specialty vet for surgery in the morning and then ended up at the emergency vet with our dog in the evening. So, I finally got around to baking this cake last night. Good thing it was a super simple cake because I didn't get started making it until after 9:00 last night.

Misen place minus the cocoa and water mixture which was already in the fridge cooling:


This batter came together very quick. First you mix the dry ingredients and then add in the butter and cocoa mixture.


Then you add in the egg mixture. The batter looks really good at this point.


The directions for the recipe said to use a silicon pan and put it on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. I didn't know if I still needed to do that with a metal pan, but I did anyway. Only problem is it looks like the cake got a little dark on top, but it looked fine once it came out of the pan.


I finished baking the cake just before 11:00 so neither of us really wanted to have a slice right before going to bed. I'll have to update this post tonight after we've tried the cake.

I'm a little late updating this post. There have just been too many things going on lately. My husband and I did taste the cake that morning and really liked it. My husband especially liked how moist it was. I tend to prefer cakes with icing, but this one was really good.


7 comments:

  1. Looks great Andrea! I hope the surgery went well for your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea - your cake turned out great. I'm sorry to hear you had to make two visits to the vet's office. Hope your furry loved ones are okay!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. ב''ה

    Love that second to last picture of your batter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope your animals are okay! you cake looks delicious, now i wish i had some to snack on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! My dog is doing fine. He just tore a claw so he was back to normal the next day. My cat is back home and recovering from surgery (surgical biopsy). We'll find out the results from her biopsy next week so I'm hoping for good news.

    I need to post some better pictures of this cake. Once I added the powdered sugar and put it on a cake plate it looked really nice. It tasted really good, too. It was very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, replying to your question about pie crust. Try to reduce your temperature by 25 degrees. It's my 1st time doing it for this crust and the result is perfect. Let me know how it turns out! :)

    And yes I'm with you on the baking options. I want to make everything! The problem is who will eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn, thanks! I will give that a try. I also need to watch the oven temperature a little better. I have thermometers for both of my ovens, but when I get busy I forget to check.

    I still haven't figured out who to give my cookies to, and I still haven't finished decorating them. I did find a charity just recently where you make cakes for kids in shelters who wouldn't otherwise get a birthday cake. I just got an application from them so I'm hoping to do that as an outlet for some of my baking and cake decorating.

    ReplyDelete