Thursday, July 1, 2010

50th Birthday Golf Cake

This post is a few weeks late, but a lot happened between now and then that got in the way of sitting down to post. I offered to make my stepdad's 50th birthday. My mom suggested a golf theme, and I looked through pictures online of neat golf cakes that I thought I could do. I knew I couldn't use fondant so I was a little more limited in design. I found one similar to this one except it had indentions for the golf ball on the white zero and didn't have the "grass" around the cakes. I got a new cake pan for these which allows you to make any number or letter. They're a little block like, but that could be fixed by carving them a little. The cakes are two different flavors. The 5 is Devil's Food from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook with buttercream, and the 0 is Spice Cake from Rose's Heavenly Cakes with a modified version of her Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate frosting. I just add extra powdered sugar until I get it to a consistency that works for me. I really liked the way the cakes turned out. They were both incredibly rich.

For my next big cake I'm doing my in-laws 25th anniversary cake. I get to use fondant and try to do my second two tier cake. I'm even going to try making gumpaste flowers. It should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment