Sunday, December 19, 2010

HCB: Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake


This week was another free choice week for the Heavenly Cake Bakers, and since I just joined the group a few months ago I have plenty of cake to choose from to catch up on. This particular cake had been calling my name ever since I got my copy of Rose's Heavenly Cakes last Christmas. The whipped cream icing isn't something that I would normally love because it's much lighter, but the fluffy icing just looks heavenly with the coconut on top. So, when I realized that our free choice week was going to fall on the same week as my in-laws' dinner party I volunteered to bring this. Only problem was the party was on Friday, and I ended up being incredibly busy the whole week. I also had a truffles class on Thursday from 6:00 to 9:00, but I decided that the cake seemed simple enough for me to throw together after the class. Wednesday night before going to bed I put out all of the non-perishable ingredients so that would be one less step for me. Then when I left the class I called Daniel and asked him to pull the butter out of the fridge so it would be softened by the time I got home.

When I got home I got all of the ingredients measured and the pan lined with parchment. I wish the bake shop sold 9 inch parchment circles. They sell most of the even number sizes, but not 9. It sure would make my cake baking even simpler.

First you mix the wet ingredients including part of the cream of coconut.

Then the directions say to process the sugar and coconut. Apparently my brain wasn't working at almost 10pm because I put in the rest of the cream of coconut instead of the dried unsweetened coconut. Fortunately I realized it and scooped out as much as I could and continued on with the processing. It didn't seem to cause any problems. Next you mix the dry ingredients.

Then the butter and remaining cream of coconut get added to the dry ingredients.

Then you add the egg mixture and it's ready to go in the pan.

The bake time was pretty quick. It gave me just enough time to clean up my dishes and throw together lunch for the next day. Including baking time this cake came together in about an hour.

I waited to make the whipped cream until the next day right before going to the party, and that was just as quick as the cake. I had wanted to do something fancier with the cake, but there was just no time for that. So, I went with my standard shells and rosettes.

Everyone at the dinner loved the cake. Everyone commented on how light it tasted. Daniel even loved it, and he's like me in that he prefers buttercream to whipped cream icing.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Andrea! Another impressive cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! nothing wrong with shells and rosettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy even though i'm not a coconut-in-cake fan..makes me want to have a slice..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cake! I'm definitely looking forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh this one is on my list for the next Free choice. I LOVE COCONUT cake... and by the way amazon.com sells the 9" parchment round...

    http://www.amazon.com/Regency-Inch-Round-Parchment-Paper/dp/B0000VLJ2C

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty cake. I'm glad everybody enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Amy, thanks!

    @ECL, thank you. I like the shells and rosettes. I just had plans to do royal icing poinsettias but ran out of time.

    @Faithy, it was very good, but there's definitely lots of coconut in this cake.

    @Vicki, thank you. This one was on my list for a while. You should definitely make it for one of the free choice weeks.

    @Monica, I'm a huge coconut fan also. The only thing that would make it better is chocolate like Mounds or Almond Joy. Thanks for the 9" parchment rounds link. I may have to order some.

    @Hanaa, thank you. It went a lot faster than most cakes in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks just lovely - I know it was delicious since I also love coconut cakes.

    ReplyDelete